We see them all the time – “must have” wardrobe lists for women. Some are trendy. Some are conservative. Some tout what we should “invest in.” Others rate how badly we need each item. But they all seem to have a few things in common – those key items that every woman really, truly, should have in her closet. We’ve combed the lists and narrowed it down to five key pieces – with an optional sixth to help you stand out from the crowd.
1. White Blouse – A crisp, classic white blouse works with everything from casual jeans to a suit to a skirt. It can be worn alone or layered. And best of all you can wear it anywhere.
2. Black Blazer – Even if you don’t work in an office, a well-fitting black blazer is an essential wardrobe item. It can instantly upgrade a casual outfit, provide a layer of warmth on a chilly day, and it looks fabulous over that classic white blouse.
3. Perfect Pair of Jeans – I don’t think any woman needs to be told to run out and buy a great pair of jeans. The key is to be sure you have at least one pair that fits well, makes you feel great and suits your lifestyle, be it casual, business or glam.
4. Little Black Dress – Pack your closet with as many party dresses, work dresses, and summer dresses as you like. But make sure you have that perfect, simple, LBD – the one that can be dressed up or down and worn day to evening – on hand, freshly laundered, and ready to go at all times.
5. Classic Trench – You may opt for trendy choices when it comes to some of the other pieces we’ve talked about here. But keep it simple when it comes to the trench. Invest in a high quality coat with a classic cut and styling, and it will be a go-to wardrobe staple for years to come.
6. Optional Statement Piece – Once you’ve got the basics in place, think about adding one or more statement pieces that express your fashion style. Accessories work well because they can be mixed, matched, and worn with everything. Simply keep your eyes peeled and impulse shop items you absolutely love like a bold, colorful scarf or a pair of bright red flats.